On the big day, just remember the big three: Reframe, Maintain, and Share.
Reframe Public Speaking
- See your presentation as a conversation, not a performance
- Connect with your audience, talk with, not just at them
- Know that everyone feels speech anxiety, others just manage it differently
- Know that you can share an outstanding presentation of value with your
audience – you can DO this!
Maintain and Stay Well
- Stay hydrated
- Eat something before your speech – think light and protein-rich
- Move before your speech to relieve that nervous energy – walk a longer route to class, take stairs up to the meeting, walk in the hallway
- Visualize success – you can DO this!
Share Your Story – Manage that Energy
- Dress comfortably (you look great)
- Right before your presentation, jot down two things you will do well on a
notecard – focus on those strengths
- Share your story with your audience as a conversation. Build connection with solid eye contact, strong vocal volume and variety, and effective management of speech anxiety
- Feel free to write reminders on your outline, PowerPoint outline or notecards – such as “slow down,” “smile,” “relax,” “you are doing great,” “halfway there,” “look at audience,” and “breathe.”
- Enjoy the opportunity (not everyone has the chance to be heard)
- Remember: you can DO this!